OVERVIEW ON HOSTING ORGANIZATION
• Kenya Voluntary Development Association (KVDA) is an indigenous, non-political and membership organization which is non-sectarian and non-profit making started in 1962 as a work camp organization registered under the Societies’ Act. In 1993, KVDA was registered as a Non-Governmental organization by the establishment of the NGOs Coordination Act.
• KVDA has since inception hosted over 50, 000 international volunteers to its community service development projects that have left indelible mark to efforts to enhance sustainable development.
Purpose of the Post
Under the supervision of the Finance and Administration Manager, the person will be responsible for the formulation of an office plan for information management, and its implementation, utilizing the available resources, in order to maintain/provide efficient computer information systems and services, and to improve work effectiveness and productivity, consistent with the goals, objectives and strategy for the office and the organization.
Tasks FOR POSITION OF Ict/web MANAGER
Required Qualifications and Experience:
1. University Degree in information management, with specialized training in computer science, information systems or telecommunications, as below:
2. Theoretical foundational of computer science with practical applications of software, database, network, telecommunications and systems.
3. Specifically, specialized training in information systems technology, information systems concepts and processes, and organizational functions and information management.
4. Superior knowledge and seasoned skills relating to the use of office automation equipment, information management, systems, and application software.
5. Ability to identify and integrate the needs of the office automation, available resources and systems requirements.
6. Ability to manage the office multi-user computer network, and solve systems/hardware/software problems.
7. Ability to identify computer training needs of the office, formulate and coordinate or implement training plans.
8. Two (2) years practical work experience at professional levels in support of office computerization.
9. Fluency in English
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide IT related support, and based on a review of IT status, needs, and management in the office, draft information management plan, including computerization, telecommunication, radio communication and records management.
2. Co-ordinate the support for technical operation of organizational office automation applications including MIS, MS Office, MS Windows, and mobile/remote users.
3. Coordinate the introduction and technical operation of organizational computer applications.
4. Manage the installation of new versions of the systems and troubleshoot ad-hoc user problems in its functioning.
5. Manage the office multi-user computer network, as well as data and telecommunication facilities.
6. Plan the acquisition of specific computer hardware and software, coordinate its introduction into the office, and manage its maintenance.
7. Organize computer training and support.
8. Coordinate office records management through establishment of a records management regime and system for the office in accordance with organizational guidelines and policies.
9. Provide technical guidance and support to field/branch offices on IT policies, maintenance of network and systems, and coordinate implementation of new system in field/branch offices.
10. Create and maintain ICT configuration database for both hardware and software.
11. Regularly review and evaluate office and users’ equipment and recommend replacement in accordance with hardware life cycle guidelines.
12. Assist to maintain and of manage ICT infrastructure systems including all applications
PROJECT START DATES
• Volunteers are accepted to join this project at any time of the year and should arrive in Kenya on 20th day of the month. The duration of placement is flexible depending on the availability of the volunteer
• 2-day orientation seminar will be done on the 21st and 22nd of every month
• The project participation fee is Euro 200 per month paid upfront on arrival to the cover costs stipulated for the entire duration of the project. Monthly payment of participation fees is not allowed for conventional purposes. Volunteers accepted on MLTV project for one month will pay Euros 300 for the one month placement.
What is included in the participation fee?
• Return transfers from the airport.
• Full board at the project (Accommodation and meals provided at the project)
• Orientation, evaluation and monitoring
• Volunteer mentorship
What is not included in the participation fee?
• Travel to and from the project. The volunteer will be required to pay for the bus tickets
• Refreshments outside the project
• Air ticket
• Visa and Insurance
• Local travel
• Personal effects
ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS
• Home stay and the volunteer is entitled to private room but will share other amenities and meals with the host family. It is convenient for the volunteer to carry sleeping bag, mat and personal effects. KVDA has a memorandum of understanding with the host project regarding the project costs with appropriate procedures, checks and balances.
• Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi is the port of arrival and KVDA will designate a driver for the airport pick up. We strongly advice volunteers against getting taxis on their own without reference to KVDA due to the obvious risks and in case of any challenges on arrival kindly contact KVDA via mobile telephone 0721650357
• Volunteers will be driven to the KVDA Residence situated in Karen suburb in Nairobi approximately 25 Kilometers away from the airport and that is where the volunteers will be accommodated ahead of their placement to the project. The residence is situated in the serene environment with amble space for recreation and spectacular setting as the inauguration of volunteering to make a difference in the world.
• Kenya is replete with a lot of interesting and natural spectacular sites of interest that would capture the imagination of volunteers. From the tour to the renowned Maasai Mara Game Reserve to visits to local community beholding sights, the volunteers have the previledge to make choices that would fundamentally make the difference. The project also offers a perfect opportunity for people who enjoy being close to nature and are interested in the spectacular setting that traditional way of living in the heartland of the African culture would enrich your cultural heritage
Laundry and water:
• Water is available at the hosting house from springs and it is important to preserve water at all times due to its scarcity and cooperation with the hosts will be highly appreciated
• There are no washing machines in the institution and the volunteer will be guided on how to wash clothes
• Volunteers are expected to have their own medical insurance and other personal expenses and it is important to carry your own medical and travel insurances.
• Mentor for the volunteer from the hosting organisation: KVDA will designate its staff to play the role of mentoring and this is the vital link between the volunteer and the organization. The Mentor has the responsibility to enable the volunteer to efficiently execute their tasks with diligence.
• Function of mentor: advise, educate, be a role model to the volunteers; providing problem solving, collaborative support, positive and non-evaluative feedback and emotional support for volunteers; to provide comfort, exposure, visibility and challenging assignments which directly support the volunteer’s personal and professional development; to provide counselling and friendship to support the volunteer’s self-image and competence and thus to listen, guide, advice, teach and offer professional support to the volunteers
• The mentor will be available for the volunteer as a constant supporting person. However, he/she should not be directly involved in the daily work of the volunteer.
• Mentor’s Experience with international volunteers: More than 3 years’ experience with international volunteers
Project participants: Maximum 5 volunteers from different nationalities recruited through KVDA partner organizations
What to carry: This is outlined in the detailed info sheet and includes, sleeping bag and mat, toiletries, torch, flashlight, sandals, mosquito net, national flag from your country, among others
DONATION AND GIFTS: These are usually symbolic gestures to enhance the solidarity of volunteers and the hosting community. Kindly contact KVDA for details in case you are willing to support a worthy cause in the community either by offering a donation or long-term intervention on the project.
APPLICATIONS: Should be done at least one month in advance through KVDA partner organization in respective countries. KVDA does not accept direct applications by volunteers