OVERVIEW ON HOSTING ORGANIZATION
• Kenya Voluntary Development Association (KVDA) is an indigenous, non-political and membership organization which is non-sectarian and non-profit making started in 1962 as a work camp organization registered under the Societies’ Act. In 1993, KVDA was registered as a Non-Governmental organization by the establishment of the NGOs Coordination Act.
• KVDA has since inception hosted over 50, 000 international volunteers to its community service development projects that have left indelible mark to efforts to enhance sustainable development.
Bamato Environmental and Sanitation Project, BESAP, is a community based development organization based within Nyalenda informal settlement of Kisumu city. The organization was initiated upon a firm belief in the ability of the most vulnerable communities to participate and contribute meaningfully to bring about desirable change in their settlements and communities. Having been moved by the dilapidated status of environment and deteriorated health situation within Nyalenda information settlement, the organization was formed in 2000 with the main objective of empowering the urban poor/less fortunate towards curbing their socio-economic challenges. With an increase in technological skills in recycling, key activities of the organization has been mainly to provide recycling skills to the target group as an effective way of environmental management
In an effort to help realize its objectives, the organization works in the following thematic areas:
• Solid waste management
• Water and sanitation
• Gender mainstreaming
Why Bamato as a Name?
“BAMATO” is an acronym of three Kiswahili words (Baba, Mama, Toto) which means Baba (Father), Mama (Mother), Mtoto (Child) and thus the holistic way of approach in terms of managing the environmental and health related issues within the lake region. Since inception this approach has realized considerable impact on the community in achieving the set objectives
• Promoting recycling as a means of solid waste management
• Capacity Building on recycling skills using locally available resources
• Capacity building on best practices with regard to environmental protection
• Support initiation of income generating activities i.e. waste enterprise development through artifacts production etc
• Capacity building on behavior change and communication
• Coordinating public forums for discussion on issues related to sexuality, reproductive health and diseases with emphasis on HIV/AIDS pandemic
• Coordination of forums for discussions of issues related to gender mainstreaming
• Coordination of forums for discussion on governance issues among others
• Promoting groups savings and loaning models for economic empowerment
• Prepare monthly work plan to capture specific activities with the help of the management of the institution
• Awareness raising on environmental issues with specific focus on waste management
• Prepare project papers and reports for submission to potential project partners, benefactors and donors
• Submit Project Report to KVDA
PROJECT START DATES
• Volunteers are accepted to join this project at any time of the year and should arrive in Kenya on 20th day of the month. The duration of placement is flexible depending on the availability of the volunteer
• 2-day orientation seminar will be done on the 21st and 22nd of every month
• The project participation fees is Euro 200 per month paid upfront on arrival to the cover costs stipulated for the entire duration of the project. Monthly payment of participation fees is not allowed for conventional purposes. Volunteers accepted on MLTV project for one month will pay Euros 300 for the one month placement.
What is included in the participation fee?
• Return transfers from the airport
• Full board at the project (Accommodation and meals provided at the project)
• Orientation, evaluation and monitoring
• Volunteer mentorship
What is not included in the participation fee?
• Travel to and from the project. The volunteer will be required to pay for the bus tickets
• Refreshments outside the project
• Air ticket, Excursion, Visa and Insurance
• Local travel
• Personal effects
ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS
• Home stay and the volunteer is entitled to private room but will share other amenities and meals with the host family. It is convenient for the volunteer to carry sleeping bag, mat and personal effects. KVDA has a memorandum of understanding with the host project regarding the project costs with appropriate procedures, checks and balances.
• Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi is the port of arrival and KVDA will designate a driver for the airport pick up. We strongly advice volunteers against getting taxis on their own without reference to KVDA due to the obvious risks and in case of any challenges on arrival kindly contact KVDA via mobile telephone 0721650357
• Volunteers will be driven to the KVDA Residence situated in Karen suburb in Nairobi approximately 25 Kilometers away from the airport and that is where the volunteers will be accommodated ahead of their placement to the project. The residence is situated in the serene environment with amble space for recreation and spectacular setting as the inauguration of volunteering to make a difference in the world.
• Kenya is replete with a lot of interesting and natural spectacular sites of interest that would capture the imagination of volunteers. From the tour to the renowned Maasai Mara Game Reserve to visits to local community beholding sights, the volunteers have the previledge to make choices that would fundamentally make the difference. The project also offers a perfect opportunity for people who enjoy being close to nature and are interested in the spectacular setting that traditional way of living in the heartland of the African culture would enrich your cultural heritage
Laundry and water:
• Water is available at the hosting house from springs and it is important to preserve water at all times due to its scarcity and cooperation with the hosts will be highly appreciated
• There are no washing machines in the institution and the volunteer will be guided on how to wash clothes
• Volunteers are expected to have their own medical insurance and other personal expenses and it is important to carry your own medical and travel insurances.
• Mentor for the volunteer from the hosting organisation: KVDA will designate its staff to play the role of mentoring and this is the vital link between the volunteer and the organization. The Mentor has the responsibility to enable the volunteer to efficiently execute their tasks with diligence.
• Function of mentor: advise, educate, be a role model to the volunteers; providing problem solving, collaborative support, positive and non-evaluative feedback and emotional support for volunteers; to provide comfort, exposure, visibility and challenging assignments which directly support the volunteer’s personal and professional development; to provide counselling and friendship to support the volunteer’s self-image and competence and thus to listen, guide, advice, teach and offer professional support to the volunteers
• The mentor will be available for the volunteer as a constant supporting person. However, he/she should not be directly involved in the daily work of the volunteer.
• Mentor’s Experience with international volunteers: More than 3 years’ experience with international volunteers
Project participants: Maximum 5 volunteers from different nationalities recruited through KVDA partner organizations
What to carry: This is outlined in the detailed info sheet and includes, sleeping bag and mat, toiletries, torch, flashlight, sandals, mosquito net, national flag from your country, among others
DONATION AND GIFTS: These are usually symbolic gestures to enhance the solidarity of volunteers and the hosting community. Kindly contact KVDA for details in case you are willing to support a worthy cause in the community either by offering a donation or long-term intervention on the project.
APPLICATIONS: Should be done at least one month in advance through KVDA partner organization in respective countries. KVDA does not accept direct applications by volunteers.