OVERVIEW ON HOSTING ORGANIZATION
• Kenya Voluntary Development Association (KVDA) is an indigenous, non-political and membership organization which is non-sectarian and non-profit making started in 1962 as a work camp organization registered under the Societies’ Act. In 1993, KVDA was registered as a Non-Governmental organization by the establishment of the NGOs Coordination Act.
• KVDA has since inception hosted over 50, 000 international volunteers to its community service development projects that have left indelible mark to efforts to enhance sustainable development.
Kawangware primary school is located on Dagoretti Sub County. It is about 15Km from Nairobi city centre. The school is in the midst of Kawangware slums. It has 26 government teachers, a population of about 1308 pupils; 619 boys and 689 girls.
Also the school has an early childhood centre (ECD) with a population of 79; 39 boys and 40 girls.
The school is about 15 KM from Nairobi city centre. The school is managed by 26 teachers. The ratio of teachers to pupils is 1:52. All teachers are trained.
The school has 33 classrooms, 1 library, 1 kitchen, 2 food stores, 1 computer laboratory, and one office. All structures are permanent.
The school has 43 toilets (17 for boys and 26 for girls). It has one toilet for ladies staff and one for male staff. There are 3 urinals for boys, 12 pit latrines (5 for boys and 7 for girls) and one changing room for girls.
The school has not been doing well in KCPE exam for a number of years as the mean score has been below 200 marks. Only a few pupils have been joining secondary schools whereas majority joins private schools and village polytechnics. This was a matter of concern till 2010 when the school started posting better results as below
• 2010 188.43
• 2011 209.70
• 2012 214.95
• 2013 230.33
Hopefully the year 2014 will be even better.
School administration, Education officials, teachers, religious organization, pupils, parents and donors have decided to develop a way forward to raise standards and improve the schools performance.
DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS (2015-17)
1. Rehabilitation of toilets (Pending from the Constituency Development Fund 2014)
2. Installation of tanks (Water Reservoir) 20000 L
3. Buying new desks ( 500 UNITS)
4. Repair of windows, doors and cupboards
5. Re-roofing of 13 classrooms, 1 block of toilets and ceiling boards
6. Rehabilitation and repair of perimeter wall by adding razor wire
7. Refurbishment of the computer lab
8. Purchasing of sporting facilities
9. Refurbishment of the hall and purchase of plastic chairs
10. Painting of the whole school inside and outside
11. Re-wiring of electricity of all blocks
12. Construction of the dining hall for the whole School
13. Construction of an incinerator
14. Construction of bathroom for the kitchen for the kitchen staff
15. Rehabilitation of oven bricks
16. Purchase of container for food store
• Teaching Primary School pupils
• Capacity Building for Community Based Organizations
• Home visits with focus on strengthening partnerships involving various stakeholders within the local community
• Submit Project Report to KVDA
PROJECT START DATES
• It is recommended that volunteers applying to join this project should be aware that school terms in Kenya start at the beginning of the following months January, May and September 2018
• Schools in Kenya have three holiday seasons; April, August, November and December annually
• This means the volunteers wishing to participate in this project should arrive in Kenya at the start of January, towards the end of April and towards the end of August 2018
• The project participation fees is Euro 200 per month paid upfront on arrival to the cover costs stipulated the entire duration of the project. Monthly payment of participation fees is not allowed for conventional purposes. Volunteers accepted on MLTV project for one month will pay Euros 300 for the one month placement.
What is included in the participation fee?
• Return transfers from the airport
• Full board at the project (Accommodation and meals provided at the project)
• Orientation, evaluation and monitoring
• Volunteer mentorship
What is not included in the participation fee?
• Travel to and from the project. The volunteer will be required to pay for the bus tickets
• Refreshments outside the project
• Air ticket and excursion
• Visa and Insurance
• Local travel
• personal effects
ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS
• Home stay and the volunteer is entitled to private room but will share other amenities and meals with the host family. It is convenient for the volunteer to carry sleeping bag, mat and personal effects. KVDA has a memorandum of understanding with the host project regarding the project costs with appropriate procedures, checks and balances.
• Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi is the port of arrival and KVDA will designate a driver for the airport pick up. We strongly advice volunteers against getting taxis on their own without reference to KVDA due to the obvious risks and in case of any challenges on arrival kindly contact KVDA via mobile telephone 0721650357
• Volunteers will be driven to the KVDA Residence situated in Karen suburb in Nairobi approximately 25 Kilometers away from the airport and that is where the volunteers will be accommodated ahead of their placement to the project. The residence is situated in the serene environment with amble space for recreation and spectacular setting as the inauguration of volunteering to make a difference in the world.
• Kenya is replete with a lot of interesting and natural spectacular sites of interest that would capture the imagination of volunteers. From the tour to the renowned Maasai Mara Game Reserve to visits to local community beholding sights, the volunteers have the previledge to make choices that would fundamentally make the difference. The project also offers a perfect opportunity for people who enjoy being close to nature and are interested in the spectacular setting that traditional way of living in the heartland of the African culture would enrich your cultural heritage
Laundry and water:
• Water is available at the hosting house from springs and it is important to preserve water at all times due to its scarcity and cooperation with the hosts will be highly appreciated
• There are no washing machines in the institution and the volunteer will be guided on how to wash clothes
• Volunteers are expected to have their own medical insurance and other personal expenses and it is important to carry your own medical and travel insurances.
• Mentor for the volunteer from the hosting organisation: KVDA will designate its staff to play the role of mentoring and this is the vital link between the volunteer and the organization. The Mentor has the responsibility to enable the volunteer to efficiently execute their tasks with diligence.
• Function of mentor: advise, educate, be a role model to the volunteers; providing problem solving, collaborative support, positive and non evaluative feedback and emotional support for volunteers; to provide comfort, exposure, visibility and challenging assignments which directly support the volunteer’s personal and professional development; to provide counselling and friendship to support the volunteer’s self-image and competence and thus to listen, guide, advice, teach and offer professional support to the volunteers
• The mentor will be available for the volunteer as a constant supporting person. However, he/she should not be directly involved in the daily work of the volunteer.
• Mentor’s Experience with international volunteers: More than 3 years’ experience with international volunteers
Project participants: Maximum 5 volunteers from different nationalities recruited through KVDA partner organizations
What to carry: This is outlined in the detailed info sheet and includes, sleeping bag and mat, toiletries, torch, flashlight, sandals, mosquito net, national flag from your country, among others
DONATION AND GIFTS: These are usually symbolic gestures to enhance the solidarity of volunteers and the hosting community. Kindly contact KVDA for details in case you are willing to support a worthy cause in the community either by offering a donation or long-term intervention on the project.
APPLICATIONS: Should be done at least one month in advance through KVDA partner organization in respective countries. KVDA does not accept direct applications by volunteers