OVERVIEW ON HOSTING ORGANIZATION
• Kenya Voluntary Development Association (KVDA) is an indigenous, non-political and membership organization which is non-sectarian and non-profit making started in 1962 as a work camp organization registered under the Societies’ Act. In 1993, KVDA was registered as a Non-Governmental organization by the establishment of the NGOs Coordination Act.
• KVDA has since inception hosted over 50, 000 international volunteers to its community service development projects that have left indelible mark to efforts to enhance sustainable development.
PROJECT BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Nandi people are classified among the legendary Kalenjin speaking people that occupy the expansive Rift Valley province. Rift Valley province is characterized by humid, hot and dry weather conditions in the months of December, January, February and March and cold and wet in the months of April, May, June and July. But in August, September, October and November the climate is warm and cool which is a very comforting climate. It is one of the 42 recognized ethnic communities in Kenya known for their hospitality. Nandi’s are farmers in nature practicing mixed farming, keeping animals and growing of food crops. Nandi district host the Nandi forest; Nandi Rock which is the single largest rock in East Africa. The total area of Nandi district in which 40% of the total land is a forest.
Majority of the populace live on the hills which offers cool and conducive environment for agriculture. Kamagap Primary School is located on the high lands where climatic conditions are favorable for meaningful agricultural activities and community members are very hard working.
Kamagap Primary School is located in Kamagap, Kibwareng Sub-Location in Aldai Division, Nandi South district, Rift Valley Province in the Republic of Kenya; some parts of Rift Valley are sometimes referred to as semi-arid zone.
What outcomes will our project achieve?
Youth Entrepreneurship and Leadership Development program will improve young people’s employability prospects by preparing them for quality jobs and helping others succeed as entrepreneurs. A staggering number of young people in Kenya are unable to find decent work. At the same time, employers cite lack of skills as a major impediment to hiring youth for those jobs that do exist. Working to fill this gap, we will equip youth with life skills and technical know-how, while connecting them to the mentors, internships, and job placement services they need to succeed in the job market. We will also help youth employ themselves and create new jobs by training them to be entrepreneurs and linking them to the capital needed to start new businesses. Using our proven program model as a guide, we will collaborate with institutions across sectors to focus greater attention and resources on combating youth unemployment in Vihiga County.
• Teaching pupils at the Primary School
• Training community based organization on income generating activities
• Design project papers for potential funding for community based organizations
• Training on leadership development and mentoring
• Submit Project Report to KVDA
PROJECT START DATES
• It is recommended that volunteers applying to join this project should be aware that school terms in Kenya start at the beginning of the following months January, May and September 2018
• Schools in Kenya have three holiday seasons; April, August, November and December annually
• This means the volunteers wishing to participate in this project should arrive in Kenya at the start of January, towards the end of April and towards the end of August 2018
• The project participation fees is Euro 200 per month paid upfront on arrival to the cover costs stipulated for the entire duration of the project. Monthly payment of participation fees is not allowed for conventional purposes. Volunteers accepted on MLTV project for one month will pay Euros 300 for the one month placement.
What is included in the participation fee?
• Return transfers from the airport
• Full board at the project (Accommodation and meals provided at the project)
• Orientation, evaluation, monitoring and Volunteer mentorship
What is not included in the participation fee?
• Travel to and from the project. The volunteer will be required to pay for the bus tickets
• Refreshments outside the project
• Air ticket, excursion, Visa and Insurance, Local travel and personal effects
ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS
• Home stay and the volunteer is entitled to private room but will share other amenities and meals with the host family. It is convenient for the volunteer to carry sleeping bag, mat and personal effects. KVDA has a memorandum of understanding with the host project regarding the project costs with appropriate procedures, checks and balances.
• Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi is the port of arrival and KVDA will designate a driver for the airport pick up. We strongly advice volunteers against getting taxis on their own without reference to KVDA due to the obvious risks and in case of any challenges on arrival kindly contact KVDA via mobile telephone 0721650357
• Volunteers will be driven to the KVDA Residence situated in Karen suburb in Nairobi approximately 25 Kilometers away from the airport and that is where the volunteers will be accommodated ahead of their placement to the project. The residence is situated in the serene environment with amble space for recreation and spectacular setting as the inauguration of volunteering to make a difference in the world.
• Kenya is replete with a lot of interesting and natural spectacular sites of interest that would capture the imagination of volunteers. From the tour to the renowned Maasai Mara Game Reserve to visits to local community beholding sights, the volunteers have the previledge to make choices that would fundamentally make the difference. The project also offers a perfect opportunity for people who enjoy being close to nature and are interested in the spectacular setting that traditional way of living in the heartland of the African culture would enrich your cultural heritage
Laundry and water:
• Water is available at the hosting house from springs and it is important to preserve water at all times due to its scarcity and cooperation with the hosts will be highly appreciated
• There are no washing machines in the institution and the volunteer will be guided on how to wash clothes
• Volunteers are expected to have their own medical insurance and other personal expenses and it is important to carry your own medical and travel insurances.
• Mentor for the volunteer from the hosting organisation: KVDA will designate its staff to play the role of mentoring and this is the vital link between the volunteer and the organization. The Mentor has the responsibility to enable the volunteer to efficiently execute their tasks with diligence.
• Function of mentor: advise, educate, be a role model to the volunteers; providing problem solving, collaborative support, positive and non-evaluative feedback and emotional support for volunteers; to provide comfort, exposure, visibility and challenging assignments which directly support the volunteer’s personal and professional development; to provide counselling and friendship to support the volunteer’s self-image and competence and thus to listen, guide, advice, teach and offer professional support to the volunteers
• The mentor will be available for the volunteer as a constant supporting person. However, he/she should not be directly involved in the daily work of the volunteer.
• Mentor’s Experience with international volunteers: More than 3 years’ experience with international volunteers
Project participants: Maximum 5 volunteers from different nationalities recruited through KVDA partner organizations
What to carry: This is outlined in the detailed info sheet and includes, sleeping bag and mat, toiletries, torch, flashlight, sandals, mosquito net, national flag from your country, among others
DONATION AND GIFTS: These are usually symbolic gestures to enhance the solidarity of volunteers and the hosting community. Kindly contact KVDA for details in case you are willing to support a worthy cause in the community either by offering a donation or long-term intervention on the project.
APPLICATIONS: Should be done at least one month in advance through KVDA partner organization in respective countries. KVDA does not accept direct applications by volunteers.